I’m pretty excited about the upcoming 2.0.0 release of Redis. As you can see in the changelog, I made a few minor contributions to this release. I’m most excited about being able to perform unions and intersections with sorted sets (ZSETs) and the new HASH data structure, not to mention the memory footprint reduction. Once it tests out well, I’m hoping to upgrade our Redis clusters at Craigslist to the 2.0 code base.
To do that I needed to upgrade our Perl client. The current client on CPAN doesn’t know about the protocol changes to allow for binary-safe key names in all commands. But the multi-bulk branch on github has that code. So I merged it into my fork (creating a multi-bulk branch of my own) and adjusted the tests so that all tests pass when running make test. It’s just a few minor fixes but I feel better about not seeing failed tests.
Yay for Github and Open Source.
Now it’s time to build some new RPMs, install, and test our in our development environment.